The Red Alliance
** Home Forum Index Help Search Login Register
Visit Our Sponsor, Fox Airsoft!
Visit Our Sponsor, Soviet-Propaganda.com!
Visit Our Sponsor, AirsoftPeak!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 09:09:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Latest Posts

The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Reenactment, Tactics and Info  |  USSR  |  Topic: Cavalry shoulder boards? « previous next »
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Cavalry shoulder boards?  (Read 1683 times)
Gorka-man
Serious Collector
Comrade

« on: May 20, 2009, 03:58:51 PM »

I have a set of 69 model shoulder boards that are blue and have the CA cypher, but the colour does not quite match the airborne light blue (it's not very noticeable though) and I don't think it's as dark as the KGB security forces colour, and having the army cypher I can only wonder if the soviet cavalry units have a slightly different blue branch of service colour to the air force? I checked out Carey Schofield's book but it had no pictures large enough to distinguish the actual blue colour, and on: http://www.russianwarrior.com/STMMain.htm?1969_patches.htm&1, the difference is hard to tell.
Any info on the subject?

P.S, I would take photos, but my camera is so crap it would be difficult to either see the difference, or show the actual colour.
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »

Cavalry blue and KGB blue are the same colour actually Cheesy (known as "cornflower blue" which is different to airforce "sky blue")

If they have CA ciphers on them then yes they are cavalry.

Not that common as cavalry by 1970 was I *think* only one ceremonial unit in Moscow.

"Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart..." - Vladimir Putin
"The future belongs to the strong men of the East" - Adolf Hitler, April 1945

Gorka-man
Serious Collector
Comrade

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:12:41 AM »

Thanks comrade. According to the Schofield book, there was only 1 combat unit of cavalry left by 1989, for recon and raiding on the Chinese boarder and consisting of about 200 men.

Nice and rare, but it'll do me no good in an impression without cavalry collar tabs. Anyone up for a trade, cavalry boards for airforce ones?
MASSOUD L'AFGHAN
Comrade

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 05:28:12 AM »

Cavalry blue and KGB blue are the same colour actually Cheesy (known as "cornflower blue" which is different to airforce "sky blue")

If they have CA ciphers on them then yes they are cavalry.

Not that common as cavalry by 1970 was I *think* only one ceremonial unit in Moscow.

Indeed the 11th Special Cavalry Regiment of the Ministry of Defense.
The color of collar tabs & shoulder boards is indeed cornflower blue (same as KGB).
Here is a set with M-1988 shoulder boards

MASSOUD L'AFGHAN
Comrade

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:43:54 AM »

Here is another pic

Grin
Gorka-man
Serious Collector
Comrade

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 10:42:41 AM »

Thanks comrades, mine don't seem quite so dark as Massoud's, but they probably once were (such is the nature of soviet dye technic.)
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 03:09:07 AM »

Thats probably more to do with a combination of poor photography and rubbish calibration on your monitor ;-)

They will be the same colour, I've never seen the insignia fade too much actually.

"Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart..." - Vladimir Putin

Gorka-man
Serious Collector
Comrade

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 03:45:27 AM »

And here's me trying to fade them in the sun for the past 2 days to go from cornflower to sky blue!  Grin
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 03:49:48 AM »

Hahahaha! Cheesy

Pages: 1 Print 
The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Reenactment, Tactics and Info  |  USSR  |  Topic: Cavalry shoulder boards? « previous next »
Jump to: