The Red Alliance
** Home Forum Index Help Search Login Register
Visit Our Sponsor, Fox Airsoft!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 01:48:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Latest Posts

The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Gear  |  Real Steel  |  Topic: Why is the real steel AKS-74U despised so much? « previous next »
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Why is the real steel AKS-74U despised so much?  (Read 2851 times)
Comrade Bogatyr
Comrade

« on: July 13, 2012, 07:17:03 AM »

I hear from numerous sources that the real steel AKS-74U is hated by most Russian soldiers and is commonly referred to as "The Bitch" or "Little Bitch" or "Worthless Bitch". I've even heard people warn others against using the 74U in a OMOH or vehicle crew load out where one would expect a shortened AK to be useful because in reality soldiers try not to use it. I've never fired any of the real steel AKs so I have no idea what't it's like to fire personally. Can anyone shed some light into this?

"Everything the Communists told us about communism was a complete and utter lie. Unfortunately, everything the Communists told us about capitalism turned out to be true."- John Nellis
Jafo
Angry Moderator Wannabe
Former KGB
Comrade

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:33:09 AM »

Light, not easy to control in full-auto, and it's fucking LOUD. Plus, a shorter barrel, so even less effective range. I didn't enjoy firing it.

"Stop sending people to kill me. We've already captured five of them, one of them with a bomb and another with a rifle (...) If you don't stop sending killers, I'll send one to Moscow, and I won't have to send a second."
metalinside
Comrade

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 07:36:00 AM »

AFAIK its for the poor efective range (around 200m), and I think is not as reliable as the other aks, but I'm not sure about this last statement.
Outlaw
Comrade

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »

Not my idea of a good fighting weapon when that is coming out the muzzle.

The weapons only use is to kick open the door or hatch of your busted vehicle and dump 30 on a target hoping for a hit.

These 2 factors combined if you have any intention to seriously use the weapon to fight with the AKS-74 is a much much much nicer weapon to have and its not like it is all that much longer.

Ive heard about reliability but dont know but consider that it had to have a special muzzle break to try and give it more gas pressure for cycling that alone suggests under the hood its not a happy camper.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:22:04 AM by Outlaw » Logged

"Of course, we expected more... But all the same it's not a reason to lose heart, scatter our heads with ashes and beat ourselves to exhaustion with chains." - Putin
McMike321
Comrade

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 08:37:40 AM »

I've also heard it gets pretty damn hot when you just start blasting away on it. Saw a video somewhere and some guy got maybe 6~7 mags through the thing before it started melting the laquer off the handgaurds. I pressume no well trained soldier would go about just dumping ammunition at such an exstinsive rate, but you have got to imagine that with a lack of gloves or something protecting your digits that it would be very uncomforatable after awhile in the event  you got into a big of enough fire fight with one.

But yeah minus the cooling issues, the fact that its loud, and recoil is pretty rough. That could probally give you a fair understanding as to my its not the most desired weapon.

And outlaw from what I can see the top picture thta you posted, the gun doesn't have the break attached, so thats why its creating such a large quantity of muzzle flash. Im pretty sure with the break it would contain a large amount of that muzzle flash.
Outlaw
Comrade

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 08:54:39 AM »

Google was not terribly kind to me it was fast.  I still expect there would be issues with such a short barrel .  I have no doubt russian muzzle devices are the best there is however!  AK

"Of course, we expected more... But all the same it's not a reason to lose heart, scatter our heads with ashes and beat ourselves to exhaustion with chains." - Putin
DRK
Comrade

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 09:34:03 AM »

Light, not easy to control in full-auto, and it's fucking LOUD. Plus, a shorter barrel, so even less effective range. I didn't enjoy firing it.

an interesting observation with my daytona gun AKSU,the exact same thing happens. it's my loudest DG gun and i own 8. with R hop i can hit 240 feet at max with a .3. it kicks so hard the upper hand guard now flies up since the hand guard pin from the rear site came out during firing.

have you seen My Armory?

Great minds know to kill the other first.
Spinal
Comrade

STILL THE BEST 1973

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »

And outlaw from what I can see the top picture thta you posted, the gun doesn't have the break attached, so thats why its creating such a large quantity of muzzle flash. Im pretty sure with the break it would contain a large amount of that muzzle flash.
No, the muzzle brake is on there.  Look closer.

The AKS-74U is disliked because it does nothing well.  It is grossly inaccurate, underpowered (for its cartridge), and difficult to control.  The AKS-74 is only 20 cm longer when both are unfolded, and vastly outperforms its smaller sibling.  The sole advantage of the "Abortion" was the PBS-5 suppressor - an advantage that disappeared rapidly when the 9x39mm Vintorez was developed, which was more accurate, had a much better ballistic profile, and was infinitely easier to control.  The older AKMS with PBS-1 combo was ALSO preferred to the AKS-74U/PBS-5 combo, due to a better ballistic profile and more stability.  In other words, the AKS-74U did not meet any of its design goals satisfactorily, save for providing a slightly smaller carbine for rear-echelon troops and officers to carry whilst not being shot at.

The introduction of compact 9x39mm rifles (SR-3(M), 9A-91, AS VAL) which continued to outperform the AKS-74U, whether suppressed or not, caused it to completely disappear from the arsenals of well-funded units.  Those which are NOT well-funded are still seen using the AKS-74 or AKMS instead of the Little Bitch/Cigarette Butt/Abortion.

tl;dr it sucks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:59:26 PM by Spinal » Logged
cosmy
Comrade

the one and only - cosmy!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:16:21 AM »

Was it this video McMike?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsDNpoXxWCA

I am playing STALKER: COP all over again and using the AKS-74U (which is the starting gun) and even with upgrades, it's a nasty gun to handle and perfectly fits others' comments on here. It's just a game, of course lol, but amazing how they managed to get the real life attributes of the gun in the game: difficult to handle, loud, and inaccurate.

At least it looks good!
XXL
Comrade

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »

AKS74U was designed as PDW for machine crews and VDV units.
It was failed state tests for VDV.
So, it is mainly used now by machine crews and  police.  MVD units in Special Task Center of my region ( ЦСН МВД)   are not equipped with AK74U at all. At Yaroslavl (city)  OMON I don`t saw it too.
Ah, AKSU is still used by armed collectors.
The main good side is small size to keep it  in vehicle and one caliber with its "big brother". 5.45 is not good for this class of weapons, but army had no choice.
But... I saw a photo with Vympel guy with RIS AKS47U ))

SKYPE xxl_rgb_nn <<= write me.
AgentViper
Comrade

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:40:41 AM »

I wouldn't say it completely sucks, just more or less ahead of its time. People tend to forget it was developed in the late seventies, a time when the only close quarters automatic firearms included the mp5, uzi, m3 Greasegun, and the mp40 just to name a few..
Spinal
Comrade

STILL THE BEST 1973

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 02:23:04 AM »

I wouldn't say it completely sucks, just more or less ahead of its time. People tend to forget it was developed in the late seventies, a time when the only close quarters automatic firearms included the mp5, uzi, m3 Greasegun, and the mp40 just to name a few..
I don't know if I would call it ahead of its time, since other rifle-caliber compact weapons existed.  Colt carbines were being produced in America (and exported elsewhere) since the late Sixties, and the the Australian SASR was using chopped FALs around the same era.  Those weapons functioned; the AKS-74U did not, until given its distinctive muzzle device that functions as a gas expansion chamber permitting the weapon to cycle.  The barrel was (is) too short to allow the 5.45x39mm cartridge to demonstrate acceptable ballistic characteristics, giving the weapon its almost legendary inaccuracy and dramatically shortened effective range.  The AKS-74U is one giant compromise, with much sacrificed for little gain.
UssrRussian93
Comrade

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 02:40:21 AM »

there are Russian veterans here  i know for sure ''Russian'' is veteran ask him.  but trying to fire  7.62x39mm compact weapon in automatic is pain
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:33:34 AM by UssrRussian93 » Logged

Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart. Anyone who wants it restored has no brains.
Vladimir Putin
XXL
Comrade

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 04:11:20 AM »

one fact is trying to fire a 7.62x39mm compact weapon in automatic is a pain
We talked about 5.45 )
But about 7.62,  if AK104 is compact weapon, I can say that it is not more  pain, than shooting AKMS in automatic mode.

SKYPE xxl_rgb_nn <<= write me.
Gonz71
Comrade

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 05:40:44 AM »

It´s like a big and powerful automatic pistol, not a short carbine.

UssrRussian93
Comrade

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 03:48:05 AM »

We talked about 5.45 )
But about 7.62,  if AK104 is compact weapon, I can say that it is not more  pain, than shooting AKMS in automatic mode.

sorry i forgot the 74 series are 5.45 not 7.62
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:35:24 AM by UssrRussian93 » Logged

Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart. Anyone who wants it restored has no brains.
Vladimir Putin
pogi
Comrade

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 10:37:34 PM »

I've shot many Krinks both 5.45 and 7.62 and love them all.  Krinks go for big $$$ in the US.
VDVSpetsnaz
Comrade

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 10:17:54 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9y964FnMwc

Jim Fuller of Rifle Dynamics explains differences in specific AK platforms here. He touches on the Krink and why the 8" barrels in 7.62 are junk for anything other than shooting soft targets.

"Anything that is complex is not useful and anything that is useful is simple."
-Mikhail Kalashnikov
Tuman382
Comrade

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »

because AKSU consonant with the Russian word "suka", ie bitch
Pages: 1 Print 
The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Gear  |  Real Steel  |  Topic: Why is the real steel AKS-74U despised so much? « previous next »
Jump to: