The Red Alliance
** Home Forum Index Help Search Login Register
Visit Our Sponsor, Fox Airsoft!
Visit Our Sponsor, Soviet-Propaganda.com!
Visit Our Sponsor, AirsoftPeak!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 10:15:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Latest Posts

The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Gear  |  General Equipment Discussion  |  Topic: Soviet / East German military radios « previous next »
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Soviet / East German military radios  (Read 2624 times)
madcow
Comrade

« on: October 22, 2006, 08:10:27 AM »

Hi guys:

can anyone tell me which radios were used on the 80's period and carried by soldiers (on the back, I guess)?

Also, where can I find one for sale, even if it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance,
Ricardo
People's Army
Sufferer of the Sweet Sickness
Serious Collector
Comrade
Location: Kent Military District, UK SSR ..... ( Workers Paradise)

A Purely Defensive reaction to Reactionary Posts..

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »

Genosse,
At what operational level are we speaking of ?.. at Squad level the " Commander "of a Motor Rifles Squad deployed in a shirmish line (likely a Junior Lieutenant or Senior Sargeant )would have a R126, this would allow communication with his Fighting vehicle, the Fighting Vehicle having a R123 .....R123 can communicate to Squad level (R126).
The Man packed Radio at company level is the Variants of R105,D,M  and its replacement the R 107..held by Company Commanders ( this type also replaced the R109 and R114).

R108,D,M was an Artillery Set
R109 , D,M was an Air defence set
R114 was a Company and above level of communication set

All these systems could be man packed, the R123 is only a vehicle set.

Above this you start getting big vehicle mounted sets.. and is beyond the security clearence of this Rezident... Wink

Here's an image I found on the Net.

This should help as for a source, I pick that kind of stuff at big Militia Markets.

I have/ hold at Centre level (for the Progressive needs of the WPFG )a Group owned R105m and R126 ,a VDV variant of it (I forget its number off the top of my head) plus several DDR own produced sets, the DDR sets are smaller but not used on the main Net, Soviet Equipment being the standard.

I personally have a Scale of issue correct for a Squad Commander,dismounted from a BTR or BMP using a DDR ( German language marked ) R126 as I do NVA 1970-90s as my "Standing in a Field Wearing Old Military Clothing" pass time.

Cheesy

Who watches the Watchmen?, The NKVD.

"we will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
(Stalin, 1928)

"In the Class War, there are no Bystanders".
madcow
Comrade

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 10:16:52 AM »

Well, that's good info Cheesy

I'm not sure about what I want. I want the typical radio carried on the field, like an AN/PRC-10 counterpart, if I'm making myself clear.

Maybe the R105M, R106 since I also prefer the NVA stuff (which is also easier to find) than Soviet one. Now... where to get one? :?

Thanks again.

Ricardo
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006, 12:35:42 PM »

The R126 is probably the best radio set for you to own... its the one used to communicate between infantry squads and their vehicle.

The bigger sets are more specific purpose and used either onboard vehicles to communicate upwards or in forward command posts for battaillon or bigger command.

Soviet and NVA troops were primarily mechanised infantry - much more so than their US counterparts in the early 70's. As such the equivalent radio set in size wasn't the same in actual function...

The DDR versions of all Soviet radios were simply re-issued with face plates in German as opposed to Russian. All the radio sets were AFAIK made in the CCCP.

The bigger radio sets turn up on ebay a lot, usually around US$250 for a complete one. They are heavy, especially with all the bits so expect to pay almost as much again to get them shipped from Eastern Europe, where of course they all hang out!

BTW, People's Army, thats a damned good picture to cut out and keep!

"Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart..." - Vladimir Putin
"The future belongs to the strong men of the East" - Adolf Hitler, April 1945

madcow
Comrade

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006, 01:40:36 PM »

I also read about the R-392 issued on the early 80's.

I can't find any of the radios mentioned here for sale on ebay or any other place Sad

Ricardo
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006, 02:02:21 PM »

Well they aren't on ebay 24x7 but do turn up regularly...

BTW you might need to look on ebay.de and search for "nva funkgerät"... that shows a few at the moment... possibly more if you try "russiche funkgerät"

Bear in mind of course PayPal isnt too common with German ebay'ers for some reason...

"Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart..." - Vladimir Putin

H_U_M
Comrade

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 08:05:20 AM »

Try here: http://www.armyradio.com/arsc/customer/home.php there are nice pics and general info about radios and some still operational (the left side menu, click "Eastern block radios". Also have info about the batery you need and baterys for sale.

Other place to buy eastern radios, but not operational in most cases: http://www.helmut-singer.de/fix/she.html Click on "Categories" and then "Transceivers" and look that you want by model. Also have other accesories for eastern radios like microphones, headsets, antenas, in the accesories section and other places.

Un saludo.
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006, 08:13:27 AM »

Armyradio.com is a VERY expensive place to buy WTO radios from!!!

Also worth noting is that Soviet made batteries for nearly all of the smaller sets are nasty things which can explode on charging and disgorge some really unpleasant chemicals! The bigger ones have more normal lead acid batteries and aren't quite so grim, but the small sets (R126 etc) are best powered with a home-made modern power pack fitted into the battery compartment.

Don't waste your money or eyesight on those original batteries unless you just want it for display!!!

They are quite an interesting configuration though - most use two different voltages tapped of the cell at different points, one for the transmit side and the other the receiver. I've never really looked at NATO radios to see if this is normal for this era of radio set, but it just struck me as odd as someone from a slightly different electronics background...

madcow
Comrade

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 11:04:11 AM »

I don't need them to work... Actually, even if they do work I can't use them without a license. Also I don't want the police or some guys in green knocking on my door. I just want it do display or, with luck, put a PMR-446 inside and work from there Wink

Thanks for the links! I found a R-105D that I can afford Cheesy

Ricardo
People's Army
Serious Collector
Comrade

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »

Quote from: "madcow"
I don't need them to work... Actually, even if they do work I can't use them without a license. Also I don't want the police or some guys in green knocking on my door. I just want it do display or, with luck, put a PMR-446 inside and work from there Wink

Thanks for the links! I found a R-105D that I can afford Cheesy

Ricardo

That is a big old hump  to carry :? ...I know , you will Nye even 1% wish to become a "Scaly back"  :oops: ...you will Nye wish to run about with it, better to have a R126, much friendlier. Also a R105D is carried for someone else to control, a R126 is carried for your Control of your Squad.

Cheesy

(Soviet folk-saying)

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
(Stalin, 1928)

desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006, 02:02:59 PM »

Quote from: "People's Army"
a R126 is carried for your Control of your Squad.

Including fire support from your BMP's armament!

People's Army
Serious Collector
Comrade

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006, 02:31:56 PM »

Quote from: "desantnik"
Quote from: "People's Army"
a R126 is carried for your Control of your Squad.

Including fire support from your BMP's armament!

Da!.. 30mm  of Peck-Peck-Peck...... lol the BMP is part of the Squad.. with Vehicle Driver and Gunner. to continue the Internationalist duties of the Fraternal Brotherhood of Brotherly States in the defence of World Peace.Afro

Cheesy

(Soviet folk-saying)

(An old Russia lady)

(Stalin, 1928)

madcow
Comrade

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 02:35:21 PM »

I'll try to find one in the meantime. I'm not buying it right now. Only in the beggining of 2007 Wink

Ricardo
Pages: 1 Print 
The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Gear  |  General Equipment Discussion  |  Topic: Soviet / East German military radios « previous next »
Jump to: