The Red Alliance
** Home Forum Index Help Search Login Register
Visit Our Sponsor, Soviet-Propaganda.com!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 06:31:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Latest Posts

The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Gear  |  Airsoft Repair and Customization  |  Topic: Battery solution for 1PN58 Night Scope « previous next »
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Battery solution for 1PN58 Night Scope  (Read 15141 times)
Firefly
Comrade

« on: December 29, 2006, 09:55:08 PM »

A while back, when I had too much money, I bought this wicked looking 1PN58 nightvision scope on ebay. It arrived and came with a ton of accessories, and two batteries. I didn't need to worry because the guy assured me the scope was in perfect working order. So I take it back to my room and turn out the lights and turn it on. I see this nice sharp green reticle and I can see in my room with the lights out, but then the picture kept getting darker and darker, until it was off. I kept on turning it off, waiting and turning it back on just to get a second of juice, but it was hopeless, these 20-year old batteries were dead.

I looked all over the internet for replacement batteries, but it was no good either. I read that the batteries were rechargeable, and I even located a battery charger at aa-ok, but it didnt exactly plug into a wall, and I was not about to start crafting my own electrical plugs for it, so that was no good either.

I also tried using different batteries clumped together to power it but there are few that you can fit in the compartment that will put out 7.5 volts. After looking around on kalinkaoptics, I came across V625U batteries. These are about 15.25mm in diameter and 6.02mm thick and they are 1.5 volts each. 1.5v is the magic number for reaching 7.5v. So I start thinking, these will probably fit in the battery compartment, and since they are thin I can easily stack them front to back to make one cell that equals 7.5 volts. I put in an order for 5 of them.

Now, there are more ways to skin this cat, I just found this one easiest. I also read that the 1PN58 can function on any voltage from 4-7.5 volts. I'm just writing this one because I know this one works. So here we go.

The dimensions of the 1PN58s battery compartment are 53mm tall by 40mm wide.

The positive side is on the bottom. The materials you will need are:

5x V625U (625A) batteries

1x PVC pipe, 27mm thick, with 18mm open diameter inside (you don't want it too wide inside, 18-16mm is prime, any wider and it will be very flimsy.)

1x metal spring 15mm thick by 67mm long (you can actual go shorter, just no shorter than 20mm) Also make sure it isn't a tough spring, you are going to be trying to fit this with the battery on top of it into the compartment.

Tape

Hacksaw

File

Step 1: Take batteries, and put them together positive to negative, so that all the positive or negative sides are going the same direction, and run your tape around the outside, being sure that there are absolutely no gaps in between batteries. If you have one, take a multimeter and test your new 7.5v battery, if it isn't putting out anything, you either have a gap, or a battery is facing the wrong direction.

Step 2: Take your PVC pipe, and saw it down to about 51mm and on one end, file a notch on one end about 3-4mm and about 9mm wide.

Step 3: Put the PVC pipe in the compartment with the top angled out. The notched end will go on the bottom, and the notch will have to be rotated to the rear for easy removal. If you don't put the notch in, have fun trying to pry out the battery when the compartment's contact spring goes up and locks your pipe in.

Step 4: With the top of the pipe angled in, slide the spring in, and then put the battery, + positive side down, on top of it and press downuntil it is below the top of the pipe, and slide the top of the pipe into the compartment. All done.

I have no idea how long these will last, and there are millions of different types of batteries out there that may work even better than this. I know the old batteries got about 70 hours, but those were huge. I think these should work fine for the job. If anybody has improvements, please feel free to add  wink

Cheers
Outlaw
Comrade

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »

reminds me of a battery pack i made out of 2 battery packs from cordless telephones.  If you take them apart and rebuild them you might be able to get a fit...  

The ones im talking about are triangular and thin inside are three lets say 3/4 of an inch batteries im thinking two stacks of three might fit in there and get you 7.2v  
Actualy now that i think theres no reason those wont fit they have to be as wide as your plastic tube there...meaning you might get another set in there to double the mah... probably only 350mah from memory but hey its rechargable...

"Of course, we expected more... But all the same it's not a reason to lose heart, scatter our heads with ashes and beat ourselves to exhaustion with chains." - Putin
FIDO
Serious Collector
Comrade

I yam what I yam

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 06:34:37 AM »

i think you could also use some lipo batts,

2 x 3,6v is 7,2v
they are avaiable in nearly every size and form
also rechargeable ones of course
or batts for photo cameras also, but most of them arent rechargeable lipo

NO BRAIN NO PAIN!

RPAC
Vanya
Comrade

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

Nice.  How well, exactly, do these scopes work?

#1050;огда в сомнении, граната вне!
DOWN WITH THE ARMALITE TOTING MASSES!
Every time you put rails on an AK, the Kremlin deports a kitten to somewhere colder.
Firefly
Comrade

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 03:44:25 PM »

It's Gen I so they aren't really much better than your eyes, but they are still better nonetheless. The images are blurry around the edges due to geometric distortion. They have the advantage of being able to pick up tiny IR light souces that your eyes can't. Things like illuminated reticles or other IR flood lights for other Gen I night vision devices, lit cigarettes, and red-lens flashlights rom a distance. If you had an IR searchlight they would probably do real well. I haven't been out in the deep dark woods with them yet to see what their maximum light gain is with the daylight cover off. I tried for a second in dark urban conditions and the gain was tremendous, so much that I was afraid that I would burn the tube, so I covered it back up quickly.
Vanya
Comrade

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 05:51:27 PM »

Lol, I didn't mean magnification wise, I meant light amplification.  Sounds like they work pretty well, and they look cool.  Would you mind telling us how much of a dent this put in your wallet?

#1050;огда в сомнении, граната вне!
DOWN WITH THE ARMALITE TOTING MASSES!
Every time you put rails on an AK, the Kremlin deports a kitten to somewhere colder.
Firefly
Comrade

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »

Ebay for $575 USD. It included 3 storage batteries, extra dessicant, 4 extra reticle bulbs, knobs for 5 different weapons, the pouch, and Russian manual.
svdsniper
Comrade

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 01:20:12 PM »

Hi

You can find more tried and tested battery conversions on the site below:-

www.kalashnikov.org.uk

just look under weapons accessories

svdsniper

WWW.KALASHNIKOV.ORG.UK
WWW.DRAGUNOV.ORG.UK
svdsniper
Comrade

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »

Hi

We are curently working on manufacturing a modern battery adaptor to power the 1PN58/1PN51 night sights, it will allow the use of common rechargable batteries and the first prototype is in production.

www.kalashnikov.org.uk
www.dragunov.org.uk

WWW.KALASHNIKOV.ORG.UK
WWW.DRAGUNOV.ORG.UK
VitalyVK
Comrade

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 01:51:58 PM »

there is also solution Smiley with pictures, but in russian
http://talks.guns.ru/forum/209/543943.html

Russian military photo team
svdsniper
Comrade

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 01:58:10 PM »

Hi VitaliVK

Yes i have mad a similar type to that Russian one a fe years ago but found that it can loose contact with the recoil of a firearm as its size is not perfect and allows lateral movement. The new prototype that i currently have is exactly the same as the original batterys size and will be tested on several firearms prior to being accepted as suitable to go on sale.

Best regards

SVDsniper

WWW.KALASHNIKOV.ORG.UK
WWW.DRAGUNOV.ORG.UK
VitalyVK
Comrade

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 02:44:18 PM »

hm...maybe it's better to find the original batteries

Russian military photo team
svdsniper
Comrade

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 03:30:58 PM »

its always better to use the original batteries but often they are not avaliable, the adaptor i am working on is almost twice the caacity of the original battery and so will power the scope for much longer than the original battery.

svdsniper

WWW.KALASHNIKOV.ORG.UK
WWW.DRAGUNOV.ORG.UK
Pages: 1 Print 
The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Gear  |  Airsoft Repair and Customization  |  Topic: Battery solution for 1PN58 Night Scope « previous next »
Jump to: