The Red Alliance
** Home Forum Index Help Search Login Register
Visit Our Sponsor, Fox Airsoft!
Visit Our Sponsor, Soviet-Propaganda.com!
Visit Our Sponsor, AirsoftPeak!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 11:43:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Latest Posts

The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Reenactment, Tactics and Info  |  Modern Russia  |  Topic: Russian Dog Tags « previous next »
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Russian Dog Tags  (Read 5834 times)
donderman
Comrade

« on: June 29, 2007, 12:48:49 PM »

Does the Russian military actually use these soldier-of-fortune-pop-art-style dog tags, or are they just trinkets for militaria collectors and ebay collectors?

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/RUSSIANMILITARIA/Russian.dogtags.html
Jafo
Angry Moderator Wannabe
Former KGB
Comrade

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 02:07:09 PM »

Trinkets, mostly.
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:39:54 PM »

I'm sure real Russian soldiers would laugh at someone wearing such a thing...

I have a few though, they are a bit of fun  Cool

"Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart..." - Vladimir Putin
"The future belongs to the strong men of the East" - Adolf Hitler, April 1945

humpel
Comrade

вместе победым

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 02:44:30 PM »

I've read the book from Arkadij Babchenko about the war in Chechnya and he  says their dogtags were selfmade of steel spoons...

desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 02:48:31 PM »

Blimey, have just looked at the link... I've never seen so many!!

I like this one tho:

I have one of those hehe

"Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart..." - Vladimir Putin

DIMITRI 35
Comrade

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 08:02:58 PM »

I agree with desantnik that these are fun to look at and some have a bit of imagination to think up these things. And although there are reproductions and fantasy items out there we have to thank the honest sellers like Dmitry at Soviet-Propaganda and Red Soldier for offering us items that are the real deal so to speak. Before the wall came down it was impossible to get these items or anything military related to the former Soviet Union. I can honestly say that we are very lucky now to be able to acquire such items for our collections or for use and at such reasonable prices as well!
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 09:06:31 AM »

Well, we used to get bits, but you would have paid megabucks for them... People's Army had a fair collection pre-1989...

The same is true today of Cuban items, I try hard to collect them but they are hard to find and damned expensive.

Fush [Phoenix]
Comrade

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 11:02:42 PM »

This is my real VV MVD dog tag with my personal number. I got it then i was on Caucassus. Soldiers (sergeants)-on-appeal receive them only at participation in confrontations. Officers and military-men-under-contract have them always. Other armies dog tags are same except for inscription on top (here is MVD of RUSSIA)
This is soldier-on-appeal personal nuber (two letters, six numbers). Officers and military-men-under-contract personal number has one letter and six or seven numbers (sorry, i can't remember... :roll: )

he best way to calm a platoon - "flash from rear!"
Army without obscene language as the soldier without rifle
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:30:35 AM »

Excellent, thats something I have never seen before!

I knew the real issued things weren't anything like the colourful things we've talked about here, but have never seen one.

I believe some sort of official dog tags were also issued in Afganistan, but no idea what they looked like, but certainly plain and not fancy!

DIMITRI 35
Comrade

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 06:43:14 PM »

Fush, hanks for posting the real dog tag pic. Really interesting.
Fush [Phoenix]
Comrade

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 03:24:57 AM »

Quote from: "DIMITRI 35"
Fush, hanks for posting the real dog tag pic. Really interesting.

Inferior Intellegence keep reading forums? Wink

Soviet Soldier
Comrade

Brewer

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 07:44:11 PM »

My dogtag is the same but Russian soldier can purchase them for thier girlfriends or to family, as far as I know, I pick one up at a store not too far from here.

U.S Army Infantryman during the Day Russian soldier at night

I AM A DRILL SERGEANT
I WILL ASSIST EACH INDIVIDUAL IN THEIR EFFORTS TO BECOME A HIGHLY MOTIVATED, WELL DISCIPLINED, PHYSICALLY AND MENTALLY FIT SOLDIER, CAPABLE OF DEFEATING ANY ENEMY ON TODAY'S MODERN BATTLEFIELD.
I WILL INSTILL PRIDE IN ALL I TRAIN. PRIDE IN SELF, IN THE ARMY, AND IN COUNTRY.
I WILL INSIST THAT EACH SOLDIER MEETS AND MAINTAINS THE ARMY STANDARDS OF MILITARY BEARING AND COURTESY, CONSISTENT WITH THE HIGHEST
Silenoz
Comrade

Chairsofting Expert!

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 10:11:22 PM »

Is there anywhere you can get custom or replicas for re-enactment?

The only easy day was yesterday.

We don't do it because it is easy, we do it because it is hard.
soviet-propaganda
Comrade

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 12:11:29 AM »

I can get then now, but unfortunately can't do any engravings on it

Large stock of Russian & Soviet Gear in stock http://www.soviet-propaganda.com - NEW SHOP OPENED!
Russian Military Blog  http://www.russianmilitaryblog.com
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 01:31:03 AM »

Do you mean totally blank Dmitry or with the "MVD of Russia" but no serial number stamped?

Fush [Phoenix]
Comrade

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 01:44:48 AM »

There would be "MVD of RUSSIA", "FSB of RUSSIA", e.t.c.

WidowMaker
Comrade

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 11:57:09 AM »

Hello Comrades

I have recently bought some colourful Russian dog-tags from ebay, I know that a real Russian soldier doesn't wear them and they are just show, but they are very nice and i want to use them. I read some where that in the first chechen war they Russian troops use to do dog-tags from spoons and such so I can safely say that they do use dog-tags what I want to know now is what do they put on them?

Here is an US example:
SMITH
JOHN D
123-45-6789
O POS
NO PREF

what's the Russian version?

Thanks for all of the help.

Stepi
Forum KGB
Comrade

AaaaAAAAAaaa!!!!

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 12:56:03 PM »

This is what Arkady Babchenko writes about the dog tags issued to him and his fellow soldiers just before they were sent into Chechnya. As this was in the mid 90's these things have most certainly changed since then.
The dog-tags issued were made of aluminium and contained only the soldiers serial number, for example: Arkadys own 629 600. In fear of these melting if you died inside a burning vehicle the soldiers had new ones made in towns nearby. These were made of steel and usually contained the soldiers last name, year of birth, address and blood type, the address being the most important to be sure of getting your corpse home. Those who didn't have the money, or for some other reason did not buy new ones, broke of the "scoop" part of a steel spoon and engraved their name and blood type on it.
This was over ten years ago, but if you're looking for a dog-tag to fit an impression from that time, then this might be of help to you.

Finarvas
Administrator
Comrade

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 01:03:25 PM »

Topics merged, be sure to check Fush's excellent photograph of a currenct MVD VV dog tag!

Я твой слуга
Я твой работник
-
Somewhat inactive, if there is an urgent problem, please send me a PM.
-
Red-Alliance IRC chat | Red-Alliance Wiki | Red-Alliance Facebook Page | ГРУ 13 СПЕЦНАЗ
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »

I saw one for sale at War n Peace the other day... I am guesing it is Soviet period and from what I've worked out must have been from a war zone (because they didn't have them otherwise)... soldier own made or issued I cannot tell, but it was hexagon shaped, made from aluminium and looked either scribed by punching lots of dots, or electro-pencil. In a very typical Soviet script, the main detail was "Pota 4" but there were other details on it too which I cannot remember. Had a hole drilled in it presumably to wear around the neck. About 35mm across.

I was very interested but at 25 quid (US$50!) I decided to leave it behind.

Was with a dealer I know from Moscow, in his "good stuff" cabinet, so think it was probably authentic.

Pages: 1 Print 
The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Reenactment, Tactics and Info  |  Modern Russia  |  Topic: Russian Dog Tags « previous next »
Jump to: