The Red Alliance
** Home Forum Index Help Search Login Register
Visit Our Sponsor, Fox Airsoft!
Visit Our Sponsor, Soviet-Propaganda.com!
Visit Our Sponsor, AirsoftPeak!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 05:37:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Latest Posts

The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Reenactment, Tactics and Info  |  USSR  |  Topic: Radios in Afganistan- some translation help? « previous next »
Pages: 1 Print
Author Topic: Radios in Afganistan- some translation help?  (Read 6814 times)
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« on: March 05, 2008, 05:58:39 PM »

Having scored myself a R255-PP today, I thought I'd show you this page of radios used in Afganistan.

I'd really like some kind Comrade to translate what it says on this page... its a bit beyond my limited Russian Sad

This rezidency currently holds one of each of these sets (only one is mine, the others are just forward deployed here in case of surprise Imperialist attack on Kent Military District  wink )

Am also interested in any more info anyone has on any of these sets, other than whats already written at armyradio.com (because that isn't very much Sad )

In particular I am trying to work out where the R255 fits into the Soviet radio net...

"Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart..." - Vladimir Putin
"The future belongs to the strong men of the East" - Adolf Hitler, April 1945

Sten
Comrade

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:14:23 AM »

Here you go Smiley

Ultrashort wave radio R-159

Control elements
1. AB Voltage control and sending signal power indicator.
2. Frequency control handle (MHz)
3. Frequency control handle (kHz)
4. Transmitting key
5. Operation mode setup handle.
6. On/Off button.
7. AB Voltage control button
8. Settings button

Ultrashort wave radio R-159 with Kulikov whip antenna provides communication in telephone mode up to 35 kilometers, and more in direct visibility. Radio was used by recon radio-operators of independent task forces and 459 Spetznaz Company. Recon radio operators were attached to recon squads and spetznaz units for the urgent tasks.

Ultrashort wave radio R-392

Ultrashort wave radio R-392 is intended to be used for communication between members of a recon group. It was issued to group commanders. Built-in scrambler unit allowed recon members to cover contents of communications from the enemy.

Searching ultrashort wave receiver R-255PP

Searching ultrashort wave receiver R-255PP was used for one-side radio communications with independent scouts (senior squad members) but... not for long. Battery didn't last long in extreme hot conditions.
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 04:34:32 AM »

Excellent!

Thank you so much for your help Comrade!

Some interesting stuff in that text that I never knew...

I shall have to look into the R392's encryption capabilities  wink

"Anyone who doesn't regret the passing of the Soviet Union has no heart..." - Vladimir Putin

desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:52:12 AM »

Oh and any idea what the writing on the faceplate of the R255-pp says?

Here's a closeup pic:

Misha
Comrade

Belamores are the best!

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:12:33 AM »

Interesting, the R392 has encryption...
I wonder if that will provide a problem in making it talk to our other radios in our group -Chicoms on the same frequencies etc...- We've yet to make it talk, because we've gotta configure a battery for it (came without one).
That explains the god-aweful nasty circuitry inside it...there's encryption Smiley

'Who needs glory? I want to live - that's all the medal I need' -Afghantsi Song
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »

It won't be heavy duty digital encryption... it will be some sort of analogue scrambler of some sort and I would have thought it would have an on/off toggle for it (which it doesnt appear to have on the controls) - because where this sits in the radio net should be that it can communicate with other elements which are not known as having any kind of scrambling...

Haven't found any other documentation yet about the R392... but am looking hard for it!

So you have some 392's then Misha? I am looking for one for myself...

PS our Comrade with the teknik can probably help you with the power for these - he is bloody good with anything electrikal...

Sten
Comrade

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 09:56:56 AM »

As it is shown on a faceplate:

R255pp                     Frequency
          Receiving
         Search
       Off
      Light on

About r-392, as I've found on one site, it is scrambling speech with inversion method.
Fin
Comrade

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 11:52:47 AM »

Would be great if you could get it operational  Cheesy

Roses are red. violets are blue. in Soviet Russia poem write you!
People's Army
Sufferer of the Sweet Sickness
Serious Collector
Comrade
Location: Kent Military District, UK SSR ..... ( Workers Paradise)

A Purely Defensive reaction to Reactionary Posts..

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 01:01:29 PM »

Comrade,
The frequencies are likely to be controlled, Moscow Centre doesn't like its Rezidents being Arrested for unlicensed transmissions and having its Highly Advanced, Progressive, purely defensive, State Property Communication Complexes impounded by Reactionary Imperialists...
.. neither do we.. :oops:

Cheesy

Who watches the Watchmen?, The NKVD.

"we will fight for peace until there isn't one stone left standing on another".
(Soviet folk-saying)

"The Devil came to me one night, he struck his claws into my hands, I prayed for him to stop but he wouldn't .....so I told him to F' off..... he did".
(An old Russia lady)

"We have internal enemies. We have external enemies. This, comrades, must not be forgotten for a single moment"
(Stalin, 1928)

"In the Class War, there are no Bystanders".
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 05:36:53 PM »

Getting these radios operating is not a problem.... the imperialist DF teams are more of a problem. They will arrest you and take you to one of their camps illegally located in Cuba if they catch you ;-)

Thanks Comrade Sten for the extra translation... inversion sounds a likely form of light scrambling, but you would have thought it could be turned on and off no?

Sten
Comrade

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »

There seems to be several versions of R-392 in existence - with and without scrambling capabilities. And on those with scrambling it is possible to be turned off, although I couldn't find out how. It is no problem to find electronic schemes and block-schemes of this radio if you'll need them.
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 02:37:34 AM »

There is a R392 and a R392A although the only thing I can find which mentions both suggests that the difference is only improvements in the quality of the circuit board manufacture.

That seems unlikely to me as Soviet production doesn't normally give such a change a new designation.

The 392A is apprently later than the 392, but if it was an improvement on it, it would be a R392M.

Therefore I think the R392A is the one with the scrambling on it.

Here's a picture:

http://www.greenradio.de/b_r392.htm

Although if you look at both it and the R392 on that site, both seem to have the same controls....

PS I am looking for one of these sets if you know any good sources in the Motherland...

FIDO
Serious Collector
Comrade

I yam what I yam

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 02:47:53 AM »

could it be that A to A used scrambling, but A to normal 392 would not scramble the signal?
or maybe that you need to attach another device for the scrambling function...is there any indication for that (plug etc)

im not sure, its just a vague guess

NO BRAIN NO PAIN!

RPAC
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 02:56:16 AM »

Tell you what it could be actually... it could be in the headset complex...

If you look at this picture of the accessory box there is a green box which I havent seen on the R392 I have here:

http://www.greenradio.de/bilder/b_r392d.jpg

So depending on which headset you use, you get scrambled or clear.

FIDO
Serious Collector
Comrade

I yam what I yam

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 03:06:42 AM »

yeah sounds plausible
i saw similar things when i was radio operator in the serbian army
you had the normal radio that you would carry on the back (big box), and when you attached another device you could send coded messages to another radio with the same crypt device (if he had the correct key of course)

that was only typed, but im sure there were similar things for voice messages

NO BRAIN NO PAIN!

RPAC
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 03:16:18 AM »

Strangely, true enrcypted comms wasn't something the Soviets had - the only way to send secret stuff was via coded morse.

That's probably because none of these Soviet era sets were terribly advanced in terms of microprocessor technology.

The closest thing I have seen to a secure radio set is a backpack set that used burst transmission.... is for spetsnaz!  Afro

Given their skill in radio interception and jamming, it always made me wonder why they couldnt see their own communications weaknesses.

desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 07:19:11 AM »

Ok, one more little piece of translation if someone would be so kind...

This is the instructions in the cover of my new R255PP:

Sten
Comrade

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 01:36:42 PM »

Brief instruction
1. Put switch to the "ПОДСВЕТ" position and set working frequency with "ЧАСТОТА" handles.
2. Working in Receive mode.
Attach external antenna, set switch to "ПРИЕМ" position and listen.
3. Working in Search mode.
Remove external antenna, set switch to "ПОИСК" position and find the direction to the transceiver by the maximal audibility of the signal.
4. Do not forget to switch off the receiver after working with it. Do not hold switch in the  "ПОДСВЕТ" position for more than two minutes.
5. Under negative temperatures keep receiver under your clothes.
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »

Thanks Comrade!

willard
Serious Collector
Comrade

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »

Well, I do have a working R392A and it communicates with R105M. So no scrambling function there. Scramblig is achieved with the special device w/cheek piece. One you see here: http://www.greenradio.de/bilder/b_r392d.jpg
desantnik
Kom-Stitch Kommandir
Forum KGB
Comrade

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 12:48:00 AM »

Yes, myself and my radio expert Comrade worked it out like that in the end Cheesy

RRude
Comrade

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 01:12:20 PM »

Tell you what it could be actually... it could be in the headset complex...

If you look at this picture of the accessory box there is a green box which I havent seen on the R392 I have here:

http://www.greenradio.de/bilder/b_r392d.jpg

So depending on which headset you use, you get scrambled or clear.
The Green box is a power supply for use with a car battery you take the battery compartment off of the radio and put the on (in the picture any way)the top piece. The piece with the brown thing sticking out from the Right side.There is a cord with 2 alligator clips that hooks to a car battery and to the piece with the the brown thing plugs right in (pretty neat set-up really).The bottom piece fits on to the removed battery compartment and I believe is some sort of charging unit as it has resistors and when together it can hold a battery and has a plus and minus terminal that fits exactly over the battery.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 01:15:44 PM by RRude » Logged
RRude
Comrade

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »

Here is what I mean.

Pages: 1 Print 
The Red Alliance  |  Forum  |  Reenactment, Tactics and Info  |  USSR  |  Topic: Radios in Afganistan- some translation help? « previous next »
Jump to: