Romanian AK
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Red Alliance Forum Index -> Real Steel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrunkMonkey
Comrade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Romanian AKs that are imported arenít the same ones made for Romania, they are specifically made to be imported into the US with a lot of internal differences, and a mag well for a single stack mag, that the importer opens to fit a double stackÖ they are almost always off and never work right. If you get a $120 Romanian parts kit and a $55 receiver from Nodakspud you can have a nice AKM that works like they are supposed to. With a few simple custom tools the build is pretty easy, the hardest part is pressing the barrel in and getting the right head space.
Hilbert
Comrade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, there you have it Mein-Teil, many-a-reasons (apart from the one's I listed) why I don't use Romanian hardware.

Izhmash is the only way to go in my opinion, although Arsenal Armory and Robinson Arms are pretty good too.
Mein-Teil
Comrade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't ask you what the issues are with the Romanian imports,

I just wanted to hear your opinion on them.

I know everything there is to know about these Romanian AKs.

I don't care about the dumb complaints people have about them.

Today I milled my WASR2's mag well for the East German magazines I have.

Guess what? No mag wobble and it feeds perfectly.

That ugly black oxide finish?

The rifle is getting refinished in expensive bake-on gloss enamel, much more durable than Russian or any other military finish.

The trigger it came with is already very good.

Lastly, I'll put on a set of East German furniture along with an AK74 gas block, front sight and compensator.

I'll end up with a nice East German AKS-74 clone for about $400

Yeah, these AKs have poor quality control, that's why you take your time in the store and look all of them over until you have a nice one.

I've spent $1400 on my two AKs, two Mosin Nagants and my Glock19.

When my friends and I go to the range we have a great time and my guns always perform flawlessly.

I wouldn't trade my collection for your Kreb's AK 103, which are worth the same.

Why is having a $1,300 Kalashnikov the only way to go?

Ak's are all about being cheap, reliable and effective.

The only real way to go is to collect every variant.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TrunkMonkey
Comrade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your point is very true, you can pick a nice shooter from the shelf, if you look for the known issues, if you want to modify one of these you arenít changing something that is a collectors piece that people would scream heresy.
I had an Arsenal SLR 100, Bulgarian made AK, it was a nice shooter, the M70AB2 that came from a kit is a nice shooter... but then again the WASR 10 shoots ok too, beauty is in the eye if the beholder, the custom and kit builds are just so you can say look what I did there is a pleasure in holding something you did yourself.
Hilbert
Comrade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mein-Teil wrote:
I didn't ask you what the issues are with the Romanian imports,

I just wanted to hear your opinion on them.

I know everything there is to know about these Romanian AKs.

I don't care about the dumb complaints people have about them.

Today I milled my WASR2's mag well for the East German magazines I have.

Guess what? No mag wobble and it feeds perfectly.

That ugly black oxide finish?

The rifle is getting refinished in expensive bake-on gloss enamel, much more durable than Russian or any other military finish.

The trigger it came with is already very good.

Lastly, I'll put on a set of East German furniture along with an AK74 gas block, front sight and compensator.

I'll end up with a nice East German AKS-74 clone for about $400

Yeah, these AKs have poor quality control, that's why you take your time in the store and look all of them over until you have a nice one.

I've spent $1400 on my two AKs, two Mosin Nagants and my Glock19.

When my friends and I go to the range we have a great time and my guns always perform flawlessly.

I wouldn't trade my collection for your Kreb's AK 103, which are worth the same.

Why is having a $1,300 Kalashnikov the only way to go?

Ak's are all about being cheap, reliable and effective.

The only real way to go is to collect every variant.

Relax man. I'm glad your happy with your rifle and that you take such pride in your work and collection and I'm not trying to force anything on you.

I never said getting a Krebs AK or a $1,300 was the only way to go; what I did say is that based on my experiences with various AK's, I've found Izhmash hardware in general, not necessarily Krebs or what not, to be the best and view it as "the only way to go." Bear in mind, many people would rather buy a good quality out of the box firearm than hand select and customize, this is just a matter of personal taste.

If you want to debate the pros and cons, let's do it over PM or make a separate topic. Frankly, I have no interest in either.

Please, be at ease.

-Hilbert
Outlaw
Comrade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has done nothing but further complicate my hesitation on what ak I should be gunning for Smile I met an arsenel the other day and was very interesting but I also put like 90 through the previously mentioned romanian. Its almost like there different things gotta get them all! Laughing
Hilbert
Comrade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, here's the deal:

- Romanian AK's as far as out of the box goes are crap, I think most people will agree with that, now if out of the box isn't a problem for you and your willing to do some customizing and what not, you can get a pretty good rifle.

- Polish AK's, I haven't heard any complaints about them.

- Russian AK's, are excellent out of the box guns although for U.S. shooters you'll need some custom work (quite a bit of it actually and be sure to bring your wallet) to get it looking like an actual "AK" cosmetically.

- Bulgarian AK's (Arsenal), like Russian AKs, are also highly regarded and great for both straight out of the box use and further customization.

- Yugoslavian AK's (M70, etc) are great straight out of the box shooters and make for good customization platforums.

- Hungarian varients, sort of depends on the rifle although they're generally decent stuff, some people like them others don't; some batches are good others can get a little funny, but they work.

- East German, it's German, need I say more?
Mein-Teil
Comrade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advise is to sign up at http://www.akforum.net/phpBB2/ .

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on the forum, some of which own every variant imaginable. They'll be glad to help you out.

Read up and ask questions about what you want in an AK

The fact is, almost all of the Kalashnikovs in the U.S. are built from used parts kits and American made parts.

Of the hundreds of people on the AK forum you'll find that there are more complaints about Arsenal's AKs than Romanian kit builds.

My suggestion for an AK right now is a kit built Bulgarian AK-74 or AKS-74,
5.45 is the lowest price it's ever going to be.

You could by a kit from someone on the AKforum or a store like Ohio Rapid Fire and order a receiver from NDS.

You could have it build by one of the builder's on the forum and have it made in a month or two for not much more than $600.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Red Alliance Forum Index -> Real Steel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: